Veganism is on the rise! A growing population is choosing a plant-based diet. As of 2022, about 8 million people identify their diet as pure veg (This includes people who consume dairy products). The trend of ‘veganism‘ or omitting meat from your diet has been rising since the mid-2000s. Some driving factors behind the increase in the number of vegetarians include health, environment, and ethics (animal safety). According to research eating animal-based products like chicken and beef leads to severe health conditions like cancer and diabetes. Popular celebrities like Miley Cyrus and Joaquin Phoenix have raised awareness and advocated veganism. Another reason is the rise of plant-based meat options like patties and nuggets. These are made out of ingredients like soy, mycoprotein, and pea.
A popular vegetarian food that is also considered a healthy alternative is zucchini. Zucchini is a summer squash that comes from the gourd family. It is a nutritious vegetable and is incredibly versatile as it can be consumed raw or cooked.
Some of the best recipes to make out of zucchini are easy to cook and can be consumed by folks of all ages. Some popular versions of cooking zucchini include zucchini slices, stuffed zucchini, grilled zucchini, sautéed zucchini, and grated zucchini. Additionally, zucchini is one of the cheapest vegetables (average of $1.50 per pound) owing to its abundance.
As mentioned earlier, zucchini is packed with nutrients and is a healthier alternative to many popular products. For instance, zucchini chips are healthier than potato chips as they contain lesser calories. Let us look at some of the best recipes to make out of zucchini that you can make from home.
Best Recipes To Make Out Of Zucchini
A) Baked Zucchini Recipes
1) Zucchini Casserole
One of the delicious zucchini recipes is also easy to make.
- Fresh Zucchini
- Basil Pesto
- Yellow Onion
- Marinara Sauce
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
1) Slice the Zucchini and yellow onion into thin slices.
2) Heat a large pan(medium flame) and add olive oil after a few minutes.
3) Take a casserole dish and add tomato sauce to the bottom.
4) In the pan, we add sliced zucchini, yellow onions, and pesto sauce, then toss them for a few minutes.
5) We add the tossed vegetables to the casserole dish by making the sautéed vegetables a smooth layer.
6) The next step is to sprinkle panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese on the vegetables.
7) Once you have decorated the casserole dish, bake it in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes until it is golden brown.
B) Zucchini Soup Recipes
1) Basil Zucchini Soup
A cold soup with a rich, creamy texture. You must try this soup if you are not fond of dairy products.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2/3 cup of leeks
- Two small zucchini
- One garlic clove
- quarter cup hemp seeds
- lemon juice
- half tablespoon miso paste
- half a cup of fresh basil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- One Cup Water
- Garlic Croutons
1) Slice the leeks (white and light green) into thin slices.
2) Finely chop the garlic cloves.
3) Heat a pan at medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil.
4) Add the chopped leeks to the pan and cook them until they are light brown (5 to 8 minutes).
5) After some time, add chopped garlic and saute the mixture(about 30 seconds).
This is the leek mixture.
6) Take a blender and add the leek mixture of sliced zucchini, lemon juice, hemp seeds, miso paste, water, and pepper (a few grinds).
After a few minutes, add freshly chopped basil and salt and blend until you get a paste consistency. Blend the mixture well. (For a thinner mixture, add water).
7) Take the mixture out of the blender and boil it in a heating pan. Stir well for a few minutes
8) Prepare garlic croutons by tossing bread cubes with oil or butter in a frying pan (8 to 10 minutes).
9) Ideally, the soup should be served at room temperature
10) Add garlic croutons and olive oil for garnish
2) Spiralized Vegetable Noodle Soup
This soup is ideal for people who are on a diet. It replaces pasta with zucchini and sweet potatoes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic Cloves (Minced) – 3 cloves
- Medium yellow onion (diced) – One
- Diced Tomatoes – One
- Carrots (Chopped) – Two
- Chopped Rosemary – Three
- Sea Salt – Half tablespoon
- Vegetable Broth – 6 cups
- Canali Beans (Cooked) – 3 cups
- Zucchini (Spiralized) – 2 medium
- Sweet Potato (Spiralized) – 1 medium
- Chickpeas – half cup
- Black pepper (grounded)
- Parmesan cheese
1) Heat oil on a large pan (medium flame).
2) Add the diced carrot, onions, and salt and pepper.
3) Saute diced vegetables until the onion is soft (8 minutes).
4) Add Rosemary, thyme, garlic, and tomato. Stir the mixture until the tomatoes are soft (5 minutes).
5) Add broth, chickpeas, and been to the mixture.
6) Add spiralized zucchini and sweet potatoes.
7) Simmer the soup until the vegetables are soft (20 to 35 minutes).
8) Add parmesan cheese for seasoning.
9) Serve the soup piping hot.
C) Grilled Zucchini Recipes
1) Grilled Zucchini Wedges
Let’s start with the classic. This recipe is amazing because you don’t have to squash the zucchini, just cut it. Grilled zucchini wedges are served with lemon yogurt and a bed of feta.
- Zucchini (Cut into wedges) – 2 medium
- Lemon – One small
- Garlic (grated) – One clove
- Mint Leaves – One Bunch
- Red Pepper flakes
- Olive Oil – One tablespoon
1) Chop the Zucchini into wedge shapes.
2) Preheat the grilled pan (high flame) and add olive oil.
3) Add the zucchini wedges, salt, and pepper and toss for a few minutes.
4) Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the mixture.
5) Grill one side of the zucchini for about 2 minutes.
6) Once one side is grilled, grill the other for about 3 minutes until the grill marks are formed.
7) Place the zucchini on a plate with lemon yogurt and feta.
(Note:- You can also serve grilled zucchini as a side dish with pasta)
3) Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
A healthy zucchini recipe consists of an assortment of vegetables like mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, corn, yellow squash, and zucchini.
This is a tasty and healthy recipe that consists of a variety of nutrients.
- Zucchini – One medium
- Yellow squash – One medium
- Red Onion – One Small
- Cremini Mushrooms – 8 ounces
- Bell peppers (Green and Red) – 2 medium
- Fresh corn – 1 medium
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Greek Dressing
1) Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray
2) Heat the grill on a high flame
3) Cut the vegetables into circular shaped chunks
4) Thread the cut vegetable into metal skewers(4)
5) Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil
6) Season the vegetables with salt and pepper
7) Grill the seasoned vegetables for 8 minutes on each side until they are lightly charred
8) Remove from grill and serve with Greek dressing
D) Zucchini Noodles Recipes
1) Zucchini Lasagna with Zucchini “Ricota”
Everybody loves a classic lasagna, but the Zucchini Lasagna is a healthier alternative.
To improve things, there isn’t an iota of meat in the lasagna. In this recipe, the protein is from the tofu ricotta.
- Garlic Cloves – 2
- Walnuts (Chopped) – 1/4 cups
- Tofu – 7 ounces
- Zucchini(Chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Oregano (Dried) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1/4 teaspoons
- Fresh Basil (Chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Sea Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper( Freshly Ground)
- Lasagna Noodles (Brown Rice) – 5 ounces
- Fire-roasted tomatoes (Diced) – 14.5 ounce
- Zucchini (Thin Planks) – 2 medium
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (For dazzling)
- Pecorino Cheese (Grated) – 1 cup
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit before preparing the lasagna.
2) For the Zucchini Tofu Ricotta, combine the garlic, tofu, walnuts, chopped zucchini, oregano, lemon juice, fresh basil, red pepper flakes, and salt. Prepare the mixture in a spreadable consistency.
3) For the lasagna, take a baking tray and drizzle it with olive oil.
4) The following vegetables should be divided into smaller pieces –
- Tomato – 3 parts
- Zucchini – 2 parts
- Tofu Ricota – 2 parts
- Noodles – 2 parts
5) Place the first batch of the vegetables mentioned above on the baking tray as a layer
6) Add the second layer of vegetables
7) Add the remaining tomatoes, sprinkle the grated cheese, and drizzle the olive oil
8) Bake the lasagna in two parts – covered(15 minutes) and uncovered (20 to 30 minutes).
9) Rest for 10 minutes
10) Season the lasagna with black pepper
E) Main Course Zucchini Recipes
1) Stuffed Zucchini Boats
A very easy zucchini recipe that requires a maximum preparation time of about 30 minutes. More importantly, the zucchini doesn’t go to waste. The Stuffed zucchini boats are ideal for slightly larger zucchini.
- Zucchini – Two Large
- Coarse Breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup
- Egg – One
- Parmesan (Grated)
- Garlic – Two Cloves
- Cherry tomatoes – Three
- Lemon zest – One tablespoon
- Pine Nuts
- Thyme (Garnish)
1) Oven should be pre-heated at 475 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Cut the zucchini lengthwise and hollow out the flesh
3) Transfer the flesh to the kitchen strainer
4) Prepare the stuffing by adding the strained zucchini flesh, breadcrumbs, egg, sliced cherry tomatoes, lemon zest, grated Parmesan cheese, thyme, pine nuts, and salt.
5) Thoroughly mix the above mixture
6) Drizzle the hollowed zucchini with salt, olive oil, and pepper
7) Add the mixture to the Zucchini
8) Place the zucchini in the oven and bake until it is golden brown for about 20 minutes
2) Zucchini Tacos with Avacado Sauce
Another simple and healthy zucchini recipe, this vegetarian taco recipe, can be consumed anytime, during breakfast, or even as an evening snack.
- Zucchini (Chopped) – One Medium
- Japanese Egg Plant – One Small
- Cherry tomatoes (Sliced) – One cup
- Bell Pepper(sliced) – One Medium
- Avocado (Diced) – One
- Cilantro (Sliced)
- Cooked Black Beans – One Cup
- Tortillas – Six
- Cotija Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher salt
- Black Pepper
For the avocado sauce
- Pepitas – One Fourth Cup
- Tomato Salsa – One-Third Cup
- Avocado – Half
- Spinach – Half a bunch
- Olive Oil – One Tablespoon
- Lime Juice
- Black Pepper
1) Oven should be preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Line the baking sheet with parchment paper
3) Take the chopped eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and red pepper and place them into the baking sheet
4) Add olive oil, salt, and pepper to the mixture
5) Roast the mixture until it is golden brown for about 30 minutes
6) For preparing the sauce, take a food blender and add salsa, pepitas, lime juice, chopped spinach, avocados, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
7) Blend the mixture and chill it for sometime
8) Finally, we take the tacos and add the roasted beans, cilantro, cotija, diced avocado, roasted vegetables, and avocado sauce
9) If required, serve with extra sauce on the side
F)Salad Zucchini Recipes
1) Zucchini Salad
This is one of the easy zucchini recipes made from a handful of ingredients. In addition, the preparation time is less than 10 minutes.
- Zucchini (Peeled and Chopped) – Three Small
- Pine Nuts (Toasted) – Half a cup
- Fresh Herbs (Basil, Chives, Mint Leaves) – One bunch for each
- Parmesan cheese (Grated)
- Lemon vinaigrette – One tablespoon
1) Peel the zucchini and slice them vertically into thin strips
2) Heat a pan to toast the pinenuts. This gives them a rich flavor
3) Mix the zucchini, pine nuts, fresh herbs, and lemon vinaigrette in a medium bowl.
4) Serve the mixture by adding grated parmesan cheese on top
2) Broccoli Pasta Salad
Another healthy zucchini recipe and the one where zucchini noodles are involved. It is also a very nutritious zucchini recipe because of the vegetables used.
- Small Broccoli Florets – Three cups
- Green Beans (Chopped) – One Cup
- Gluten-Free Fusili Pasta – Two Cups
- Zucchini (Sliced) – One Small
- Cherry tomatoes (Sliced) – One cup
- Sun-dried tomatoes (Chopped) – Four oil pack
- Basil Leaves(Thinly Sliced) – Eight
- Pine Nuts – One Fourth Cup
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Three tablespoons
- Tahini – Three Tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – Three Tablespoons
- White Wine Vinegar – Two tablespoon
- Garlic Clove (Minced) – One
- Dijon Mustard – Half teaspoon
- Maple Syrup – Half teaspoon
- Sea Salt – Half teaspoon
- Water – three tablespoons
1) Take a small bowl and add lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, garlic, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and water(one tablespoon). Whisk the mixture well.
2) Prepare two pots – One for boiling water and one for ice water.
3) Boil the broccoli and green beans for about two minutes (until they turn bright green)
4) Remove the boiled vegetables and place them in cold water for about fifteen seconds
5) Take another pot and boil the water
6) Add salt and pasta to the boiling water
7) Cook the pasta until it is soft
8) Take the green beans, broccoli, zucchini, basil, tomatoes, and pasta in a large bowl. Mix all the ingredients well.
9) Add the tahini dressing and toss well
10) Season the salad with pepper, salt, and a few drops of lemon vinaigrette
Zucchini is a nutritious vegetable, and there are a variety of ways. Apart from the recipes mentioned above, some other best recipes to make out of zucchini include zucchini bread, chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini fritters, zucchini, and radish carpaccio crostini, zucchini lemon orzo, Zucchini Noodle Putanesca, Zucchini Verde Vegan Enchiladas, Zucchini pizza and many more.
In addition, the best zucchini recipes go well with absolutely delicious ingredients like mozzarella cheese, fresh cilantro, balsamic glaze, red onions, garlic powder, tangy feta cheese, and even chocolate chips to prepare some of the most healthy and tasty recipes that can be substituted for meat.
So the next time you want to prepare a vegan meal with zucchini, you can be assured that myriad recipes are available online.
Verified Content by Experts
USA Tales has content written by niche experts, travelers, students, and those with real-life experience. Our content is also periodically reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure content accuracy and relevancy. Have a question? Email us at [email protected]