Browned cabbage is endlessly satisfying. I didn’t expect to love baked, pan-fried and grilled cabbage as much as I do given its humble nature, but I honestly crave it. This vegan meal features pan-fried cabbage wedges and adds plant protein (lentils) and fat (avocado) to make a well-rounded bowl with tons of flavor!
Pan Fried Cabbage with Lentils, Red Peppers and Limey Avocado [Vegan]
For the Lentil Salad:
- 2 (15-16 ounce) cans of lentils, strained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (plus more for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
For the Cabbage Wedges:
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 8 large wedges
For the Limey Avocado:
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice from 2 limes
- Extra parsley for garnish (optional)
- To make lentil salad, combine all ingredients in a medium- sized bowl and stir until well combined. Marinate salad for at least 10 minutes, or cover and store in the fridge overnight before serving the next day.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Evenly coat the bottom of the pan with
the heated oil and then add cabbage wedges cut side down. Brown without moving the wedges for about 8 minutes. Once browned on one side, flip each wedge to its other cut side and brown on that side, which should take 4-5 minutes on the second side.
- Combine avocado and lime juice in a small bowl, stir and set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Once cabbage wedges are browned, serve by first placing
1-2 cabbage wedges into a bowl, then scooping 2-3 large spoonfuls of lentil salad over the wedges and finally top with a few small spoonfuls of limey avocado and sprinkle with parsley (if using).