Butternut squash works brilliantly in a curry and this recipe from packaged rice makers Tilda that combines it with tofu is a delight.
The dish is vegetarian, too, but is so flavoursome that meat eaters will be clearing their plates as well.
Butternut squash and tofu red curry
For the curry paste:
- 10 dried chillies
- 2 shallots
- 2 sticks of lemongrass
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp galangal paste (or ginger)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
For the curry:
- 1 large butternut squash
- 30g cornflour
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 400g firm tofu
- 800ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large red pepper
- 250g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice
- Fresh coriander
- 2 limes
- Vegetable oil
- De-seed your chillies. Then pop them into a heatproof jug. Add 200ml boiling water and leave to soak for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop your shallots, lemongrass and garlic.
Add your red chillies with the water to a mini food processor along with the rest of your chopped ingredients, coriander and galangal. Add a little oil if needed to blend it into a paste.
- Peel your squash, then cut into large chunks. Cut tofu into large squares.
Add your cornflour, ½ tsp coriander and a good pinch of salt to a bowl. Add your tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add a glug of olive oil, then add tofu. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen towel.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add in a big glug of oil and tip in your curry paste and ground coriander and cook for five mins until darkened in colour and fragrant. Pour in coconut milk, 300ml water and sugar, soy sauce and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook your Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice according to packet instructions.
- Add butternut squash, tofu cubes and red pepper to the curry sauce, then simmer for 15 mins.
- Spoon rice into bowls and top with curry. Garnish with chopped coriander and a wedge of lime, then serve.